Michigan Society of Gerontology (MSG) is a voluntary organization made up of Michigan citizens who are concerned with education, research, action and service on behalf of older people in Michigan. MSG provides a multi-disciplinary forum for the exchange of ideas among diverse groups of professionals and students.
Facts You Should Know About MSG:
- MSG is the oldest continuous gerontologist society in the U.S., founded in 1956.
- We are the only organization that aims to bring people together from all sectors to discuss and influence any issue related to aging that is of interest to the membership.
- We believe that a large, strong membership made up of people from all sectors who communicate effectively with each other has the power to make a positive difference.
- Historically, we have done this primarily through our annual conferences with nationally recognized speakers. However, MSG is changing with the times and is building the capacity to bring people together with technology as well as small forums, using both to promote meaningful dialogue.
- We want YOU to be part of the dialogue. We’ll provide ways for you to do this but YOU are the critical ingredient.
Click here to view slide show on the history of MSG!
What You Can Do:
- Join MSG!
- By joining MSG you can take advantage of one of the membership benefits, the MSG Listserv where you can post your thoughts, questions, opinions.
- Check the Web site regularly.
- Give us feedback – lots of it.
- Send us material to post on the web about conferences, issues, research, policy, and practice .
What We Can Do:
- Provide Web site and Listserv.
- Provide you with opportunities to talk about issues that matter with people in all sectors, not just your own, but across the boundaries of research, practice, & policy.
- Provide you with opportunities to be part of the dialogue, have a voice, get answers to your questions, and make a difference.
- Post issues with multiple viewpoints represented
- Sponsor forums.
- Provide education, speakers, and printed materials for workshops, forums, sponsor booths, professional organizations and other groups.
- Help mobilize the membership for advocacy.
- Facilitate relationship building and negotiations.
- Advocate for the rights and lives of the aged in Michigan.
What We Can Do Together:
- Influence Practice, Policy and Research related to aging in Michigan.
- By building relationships that cross boundaries through using the Listserv, forums and other resources of MSG
- By educating each other and those in decision making positions
For our full mission and vision statement, please click below. Thanks and welcome to our site.